Located in the middle of Bali’s west coast, Balian represents everything beautiful, unique and timeless about a visit to Bali.
If you want to enjoy Bali how it was in the 1960s, before mass tourism, then Balian is the place. It is a traditional village that remains unaltered by time and unspoiled by tourist attractions or souvenir shops.
To experience the real Balian, you need to stay here long enough to forget about normal day to day issues and immerse yourself in the true magic of a timeless Balinese village.
Balian is bordered by the sacred Balian river which is continually active and changing with the rains from the mountain, feeding into the sea. The southern border is the majestic Indian Ocean and, to the east, rice paddies meander until the next village.
Balian’s northern border is the hard road between Bali and Java — the main trade route to provision Bali — along which many tourists drive, straight past Balian, searching for the true spirit of Bali.
These tourists drive around everywhere looking so hard, without realising that they need to stop, rest and relax and then the true Balinese experience comes with patience and understanding.
Surfing in Balian
Balian attracts surfers due to the excellent A-frame peak immediately in front of the property, which can be viewed clearly from the master bedroom — you don’t even need to get out of bed to check the surf!
The wave quality is produced by the river which has been running for thousands of years, etching the sand deep, to produce one of the most consistent surf spots in the world.
Most days, the mountain air is cool and this feeds into an offshore wind that makes perfect year-round surfing conditions.
Practising Yoga in Balian
Balian also attracts yogis who come here to visit, realise it is paradise, and find it very hard to leave.
Join our affiliated local yoga expert teacher for a private session or yoga retreat — adjacent to the sacred river and surf rich coastline, to enjoy the sea, rejuvenate, and learn how to enhance the quality of your life.
Beach Villa Balian is located on the corner of the boundary between the sacred Balian river and the Indian Ocean and your host Made Arsa will be available 24/7 to service your requirements to the highest level you could find anywhere in the world.
Some things to do:
- Walk along the beach or river and watch the local fishermen cast their nets.
- Yoga classes are available in the village or on the beach. Contact us if you want private yoga classes or surf lessons.
- Explore the nearby palm groves or rice paddies.
- Make a pilgramage to the beautiful temple Purah Rambut Siwi which is located on the beach to the west of Balian.
- Attend a mekepung, one of West Bali’s infamous bull races.
- Visit West Bali National Park (Taman Nasional Bali Barat in Bahasa Indonesia) is the most north-westerly point of Bali.
- Visit Jatiluwih rice terraces which is a Unesco world heritage site
- Drive 25 minues west to the famous Medewi point break
For more information or to make your booking, please get in contact.